[NTLK] ProDOS [WAS: "Re: [OT] WWDC 2015, any NTLKers there?"]

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:13:58 EDT 2015

~~~ On 2015/06/11 12:26, John Heinrichs at minicapt1 at mac.com wrote ~~~

> "Out of curiosity, would my Classic currently running system 8 run ProDOS
> Š²
Oh dear, no. At one point (early 90s) there was an Apple II card for the
> Mac, which would allow one to run ProDOS programs on the Mac.
Unfortunately,
> ProDOS was written for the the 8-bit WDC 65C02 CPU chip of the Apple II. One
> could run ProDOS on the Apple IIGS because it ran a 16-bit WDC 65816 chip, an
> upgrade of the 65C02. Neither code were compatible with the 68000 of the Mac
> Classic, thus the Apple II card.

Cheers
John
• minicapt1 at mac.com

Ah!  Thanks for the explanation.  Looks to me like I was a million miles
away from ever using it.

The early history of Macs is more interesting and intricate than I imagined.

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4