[NTLK] Sticky Newtons

Gene Beaird bgbeaird at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 13:26:48 EDT 2014

> Hopefully you're not having the same issues I had with my wife's 1998 Dakota R/T steering wheel.  The horn button/airbag cover is a hard plastic shell with a rubbery coating.  The truck doesn't get driven much (now has 3800 miles on it), but I got in it one day to move it, and noticed that the horn button had turned to a black tar-like substance.  It would stick to your fingers and was very hard to get off.  I tried all of the usual solvents; lacquer thinner, carburetor cleaner, Goo-Gone, Simple Green (a strong detergent), dish washing detergent, alcohol, but none of those would even clean the stuff off my hands.

I finally got it off with a vigorous scrubbing with brake fluid.  So far, the horn button pad is clean and NOT sticky.  I hope yours doesn't need any of that.

I'd start with some dish washing detergent and a toothbrush to see if that helps any.  Then work your way towards the harsher chemicals until you get to something that works.

Regards,

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas