[NTLK] Re. eMate Battery Booster (was Re: Hi All! This is probably a dumb idea, and asking)

Greg Hankins greg at greghankins.com
Tue Dec 16 16:08:23 EST 2014

Hi Kevin & Dan!

Thanks for the info on the booster pack. My mistake was searching the
archive for "emate battery pack." The word I needed was "booster."

Looking at the archive, there seems to have been a good bit of debate
about the utility of this sort of external power supply, as well as
its safe use. Most of that debate focused on MP1XXs and MP2XXXs
rather than the eMate.

The consensus seemed to be that the safest way to use such a device
is after removing the internal rechargeables. Apple apparently
recommended the same in its documentation for the Booster Pack. But
removing the rechargeables is a more complicated option with the eMate.

Leaving the rechargeables in while using the external booster appears
to be a bit of a crap shoot. Testimony from folks clearly more
knowledgeable about things electrical indicated that, as long as the
voltage of the external pack is keep under 6v, there's little risk of
damaging the Newt by trying to stuff a lot of amps in to it all at
once. However, the fact that the booster pack will be recharging the
internal batteries means that there will be some loss of energy in
the process.

A more ominous note was sounded, though not fully explained, by
someone who suggested that the eMate and MP2100 have a fast recharge
mode that might, in fact, suck dry the booster pack pretty quickly.
It was not clear to me whether that would be undesirable because of
power wasted in the recharging process or because it might be
dangerous for the Newton or eMate.

If a booster pack could safely partially recharge the eMate's
internal batteries from a set of alkaline batteries, that would be a
good thing, even if there is, say, a 25% power loss in the transfer.

But my reading of the archive makes me wary of trying this without
additional input from people who are smart about things electrical.

Thanks!

Greg