[NTLK] Battery life w/ Einstein

Tony Kan tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Tue Apr 29 05:40:55 EDT 2014

Hi Jon

Sorry I wasn't very clear:  On a tablet.  The 8" tablets is a size nearest
to an MP2x00 which had a 6"-ish screen.  Windows Phone has yet to support
HWR.

The Wacom digitizer technology makes a big difference.  It detects the
proximity of the stylus with an EMF field detector.  When very near the
screen, all other touch technologies are disabled and only the stylus is
recognized preventing any confusion from contact with a palm resting on the
screen on an inadvertent touch while using the stylus.

AFAIK, the Samsung Note series also use this technology.

With MS saying they want to unify the code across all their platforms, HWR
may also come to Windows Phones too but someone will need to build a model
with the Wacom stylus technology to get the best UX for users.

BTW, HWR input isn't available anywhere on the screen as it was in the
Newton.  An input panel opens at the bottom of the screen when in HWR input
mode.  Entering the mode involves tapping in a text input area with the
stylus, and then the HWR input panel appears.

Using it in portrait mode maximizes the amount of screen devoted to the
document.  In landscape mode it's like inputing text into an old Tandy 100
(if you can remember back that far) only a small portion of your document
viewable at one time, as most of the space is taken up by the HWR input
panel.

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch