[NTLK] Installing NewtonWorks - BANG!

Dave Mee davemee at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 10:50:31 EDT 2013

On 22 Sep 2013, at 14:09, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Dave Mee <davemee at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, when I try to install NewtonWorks from the UNNA archive, I see a progress bar - then the screen greys out, and the newton freezes. A very hard free, necessitating the removal of battery, mains, and the provision of a jabbing action to the reset button.
>>
>> Has anyone else come across this? Is it likely to be my slowly failing mac drive, or is this a problem other people have seen before?
>
> I haven't come across this specific issue, but I consistent failures
> (I vaguely recall reboots, but can't quite remember the specifics)
> when attempting to install the NewtonWorks package from UNNA on my
> MessagePad 2100 using Blunt & IC/VC. Since both use IC/VC to perform
> the "Put Away"/installation, I'd suspect that's where the issue lies.
> The only way I was able to install NewtonWorks was via serial using
> NCX.

This would make a lot of sense. Thanks for your insight! I'm trying to install over WiFi, which (as you point out) depends on IC/VC to *do* the actual install.

> I've never had issues using NCX. Are you using the default speed or
> the faster speed that requires the extra extension installed? Is it
> possible that your MessagePad has a weak Interconnect port?

ahhh well... having just got out of the bootstrap problem, I was hoping to live
wirelessly - but I get a feeling this isn't going to be an option.

I have finally laid my hands on a full suite of cables and dongles, but my USB->Serial adapter is an old one I picked up for a PC-serial Wacom Intuos - which worked fine, but I understand that I need to hunt down a Keyspan adapter to have NCX work fully.

So close...!

Thanks for your suggestions, Morgan.

Dave