[NTLK] Installing NewtonWorks - BANG!

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sun Sep 22 09:09:11 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM, Dave Mee <davemee at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, when I try to install NewtonWorks from the UNNA archive, I see a progress bar - then the screen greys out, and the newton freezes. A very hard free, necessitating the removal of battery, mains, and the provision of a jabbing action to the reset button.
>
> Has anyone else come across this? Is it likely to be my slowly failing mac drive, or is this a problem other people have seen before?

I haven't come across this specific issue, but I consistent failures
(I vaguely recall reboots, but can't quite remember the specifics)
when attempting to install the NewtonWorks package from UNNA on my
MessagePad 2100 using Blunt & IC/VC. Since both use IC/VC to perform
the "Put Away"/installation, I'd suspect that's where the issue lies.
The only way I was able to install NewtonWorks was via serial using
NCX.

I've never had issues using NCX. Are you using the default speed or
the faster speed that requires the extra extension installed? Is it
possible that your MessagePad has a weak Interconnect port?

--
Morgan
---