[NTLK] MPW simulator to run ARM6asm etc.

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Sun Jul 21 04:04:27 EDT 2013

On 21.07.2013, at 01:18, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

>> I found ToolDeamon which is similar to Toolserver(1), but allows connecting via the network. It's another miss though, because BasiliskII does not seem to allow connections from the outside to the inside (listening ports). Bummer.
>>
>> https://github.com/fblondiau/ToolDaemon
>
> Ooh, nice find. Much closer to what you were looking for, without
> needing to hack `toolserver` to do the same. Starred.
>
> It's interesting that Basilisk II doesn't support incoming
> connections. I haven't tried it in quite some time either since I keep
> a PowerMac 9500 running 8.6 for such bootstrapping. I'm sure you've
> done your research and have already tried this, but are you using a
> unique IP address for the Mac OS in Basilisk II?

Hmm. I have no experience in setting up MacOS whatsoever. In the Mac ages I had first a CP/M machine (no network here), then the Amiga (Modem), and then I was working with SGIs and Unix. Much later I went OS X... .

OK, so BasiliskII uses Slirp and simulates DHCP for the Mac at 10.0.2.15 or so. I installed Netscape 2.2 and set up the network. Netscape works and can browse pages (old ones that is, Google.com causes tons of script errors, etc.).

The Deamon claims to open a port on 10.0.2.15:23 for telnet, so I want into a shell on the host and tried to telnet there: "telnet -l matt 10.0.2.15 23", but it does not connect. Maybe I need to set some route on the host side so it finds the slirp interface, not sure.

But the original idea, loading an MPW tool into an emulator, then simulating the tarps and system calls, has come a great deal ahead. I can load and run tools in the 'near' model. But when going 32-bit 'far' (and all Newton tools are), I still have to iron out a bunch of issues... .

Thanks

 - Matthias