[NTLK] MPW simulator to run ARM6asm etc.

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sat Jul 20 19:18:05 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> On 20.07.2013, at 13:46, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> At the minuscule chance that someone has don something like this before: I want to run the Newton MPW tools directly from the OS X command line. In the Windows world, there is 'Wine' which does osmething for MSWindows programs, and in the Mac/OS X world, there is Classix, which does this with Mac PPC programs.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, some of the Newton tools are still m68k only. There is also Executor , but the source code is over 15 years old and impossible to compile on OS X ML. Neither does it seem to simulate the MPW environment, but "only" the graphics environment.
>>>
>>> Has anyone ever heard of what I am looking for?
>>
>> How about Paul Guyot's `toolserver` <http://www.kallisys.com/>? While
>> his site really only has brief descriptions and download links
>> anymore, the description on MacUpdate
>> <https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15387/toolserver(1)> is as follows:
>
>Ah, yes, I tried that. Toolserver works on the local machine only. The Mac Classic environment by Apple must be running at the same time on the same machine. Apple though dropped Classic support quite a while ago. I would have to get my old PPC with OS X 10.3 out to make that work.

Yeah, I was aware it'd require a lot of hacking to make it do what you wanted.

>It also needs a full installation of MPW, a quite threatening toolbox ;-)

Agreed. I must admit that I haven't installed it in at least 15 years
and even then didn't use it and opted for CodeWarrior instead.

> I found ToolDeamon which is similar to Toolserver(1), but allows connecting via the network. It's another miss though, because BasiliskII does not seem to allow connections from the outside to the inside (listening ports). Bummer.
>
> https://github.com/fblondiau/ToolDaemon

Ooh, nice find. Much closer to what you were looking for, without
needing to hack `toolserver` to do the same. Starred.

It's interesting that Basilisk II doesn't support incoming
connections. I haven't tried it in quite some time either since I keep
a PowerMac 9500 running 8.6 for such bootstrapping. I'm sure you've
done your research and have already tried this, but are you using a
unique IP address for the Mac OS in Basilisk II?

--
Morgan
---