[NTLK] Newton Screen Protector?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 08:29:49 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Tue, 11/6/12, Newton Support <newtonsupport at pda-soft.de> wrote:

>Apart from that, it is not the problem in our case. The touchscreen
>(the layer above the LCD display glass) is made from polyester. I'm not >sure if what we refer to as "antireflective coating" is in fact a coating >or just an antireflective type of polyester. If it is a coating,
>it's no thicker than a very thin layer of spray paint. From the pictures >we have seen it can be assumed that the polyester itself is the problem.

Thank you for the clarification. :)

In the childlike naïveté I usually display in these matters, I had somehow formed the impression that the wrinkles we were seeing in the screen:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/aeekaho

...were formed in the "anti-reflective coating" (which I had mistakenly envisioned as an actual sheet of plastic material as opposed to a microscopically-thin, well, coating) that resides on top of the screen.

Of course, what we were -actually- seeing in the picture is a deformation of the polyester that makes up part of the touchscreen itself. :(

So is it correct to say that under the polyester film is a conductive clear coating?  And that the two combine together (polyester film + clear conductive coating) to form the touchscreen (or, rather, digitizer)?

It would appear as though the polyester forms a sort of "paper" for the MessagePad.  Meaning that when you write on the polyester, the conductive coating that resides underneath then picks up the pen strokes. The top glass pane below -that- doesn't do much apart providing a hard surface on which to write.

Is that an accurate picture of how the top two layers of the MP130's display work?  Or do I have the wrong end of the stick*?

Best,

James Fraser

*I did actually try to study the Indiana Jones easter egg (?) on pda-soft.de before posing the original question, but it still didn't penetrate.