[NTLK] Connecting eMate to XP machine

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 01:46:12 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Tue, 11/6/12, McComb Keith <KMcComb at schools.nyc.gov> wrote:

> It has been so long since I tried to connect an eMate to a
> Windows machine that I simply forgot how, which embarrasses the hell
> out of me. Can you point me at the "for complete morons who forgot"
> directions?

Being a complete moron myself, the best way for me to stay out of trouble would be to steer you toward a set of instructions written by a non-moron. :-[

Can you please start by taking a look at this page:

http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2006/01/connecting-to-pc-and-backups.html

...and posting back?  It's Tony Kan's My Apple Newton blog.

Meanwhile, because I do not want to take anything for granted, I will ask: do you have the requisite serial cable?  If not, can you please confirm that your PC has a DE-9 style connector on the back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SerialPort_ATX.jpg

If so, and you do lack a cable, someone is flogging the one you need on eBay:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/b9ttyff

...at a sky-high price (at least, the price seems so to me).  Perhaps someone else on the list can suggest a source for the same cable at a more reasonable price?

(With any luck, you already have such a cable, but as I say, I do not want to take anything for granted.)

Best,

James Fraser