[NTLK] Newton Screen Protector?

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 23:34:06 EST 2012

Hello,

--- On Mon, 11/5/12, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:

> If your 130's problem isn't caused by an installed screen
> protector (which I assume from the pictures you posted), simply
>installing a screen protector wouldn't really fix your problem. A screen >with poor responsiveness will not respond any better if you put a screen >protector onto it. Quite the contrary.

Good point.  There's another aspect to installing a screen protector that might bear consideration as well.

Apart from putting another sheet of plastic between you and an already dodgy screen (as Frank points out), some screen protectors are mildly adhesive (or at least, they are billed by the manufacturer as being "mildly" adhesive).

Where I'm trying to go with this is that if you do decide to pick up a screen protector to prevent a bad problem (i.e. the deterioration of the anti-reflective coating on the digitizer) from becoming worse (as opposed to fixing the underlying problem, as Frank earnestly suggests), you may want to take care to make sure you acquire a screen protector of the non-adhesive variety (NuShield is one such product, but I'll let other list members comment on how well or badly NuShields have worked on their Newtons in the past).

I say this because I recently applied a generic screen protector of the adhesive variety to an MP2000 I have.  Adhesive screen protectors are always a bit tricky to apply and, unfortunately, this one was no exception.

The first application resulted in air bubbles galore and, since pushing the bubbles toward the edge with a credit card didn't work, I had to remove the protector so I could have another go.  When I started to peel it off, I just about had a stroke because it appeared, at first, as though the anti-reflective coating was coming off along with the [very bad word expunged] screen protector. : /

(Luckily, I was wearing a pair of pants I didn't particularly care about at the time.)

The point being that your already dinged-up MP130 might emerge even the worse for wear after removing an adhesive-type screen protector.  I can't say for sure, of course, but I did want to mention it.

Best,

James Fraser