[NTLK] Questions from an apostate

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Fri Nov 2 01:44:21 EDT 2012

On Nov 1, 2012, at 9:33 PM, Dan <dan at dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> I have to agree.  I just don't understand why when it was "made before"
> with so much less it can't be done now.

If I might comment on that....

The Newton was the first PDA. Period. Even the Palm models didn't show up until later on, although there were a few models by different manufacturers that functioned in a similar fashion to the Newton (http://myapplenewton.blogspot.com/2009/11/computer-chronicles-1993-pda-review.html). Still, they were litle more that devices that held your information in several databases (names, addresses, phone numbers; dates; etc.).

So, in 1993 when the Newton offered the app treasures that it did, they were all pretty much new ideas. As such, no one knew what was good and what wasn't. They made each app the best it could be, not to compete with Brand X.

Nowadays, there are established standards for PDA-style apps. For the most part, the innovation of those as apps themselves is over.

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place." --Douglas Adams

•www.broodcoffeetalk.wordpress.com--Thoughts, observations, ideas…stuff to brood over
•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•TheBackupList.com--News from the Cloud: http://www.thebackuplist.com
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer