[NTLK] [Spam] Re: DataRovers for newtontalk members, just a few left

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Thu Mar 1 17:35:52 EST 2012

Yes Lithium Ion are very tricky and have to be done perfectly right or
they can be very hazardous.  There is actual circuitry in the battery
pack to monitor temp and voltage.  Usually this is custom built to the
pack (which is why they are so popular, they can be molded to any shape
you like) and not easy to be refurbished as a result.  I suspect it
requires special equipment and know how to do so.

However on the good side, there are many battery companies that will
refurbish packs reasonably.  I don't remember the names offhand but
there are several.  Also there are brick-and-motor type franchise stores
(batteries+ I think is the name) that all they do is offer batteries and
refurbish packs.  If there is one in your area you might try visiting to
see what they can do.  I haven't seen one myself so I don't know what
they can and can't do.  But from what I have read they sound like a good
possibility.  But again YES if you don't know Lithium Ion/have been
trained in them and have special equipment DO NOT try refurbishing them
yourself.  They are the most tricky battery technology we have ever
developed.

-Dan