[NTLK] Einstein help, please

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Mon Jan 23 08:08:46 EST 2012

On 23.01.2012, at 05:51, Bob Carls Dudney wrote:

> Trying to get running on ModBook.
>
> Dumped ROM a few times. Finder says 8.4 MB, but Hex Fiend reports three
> sizes: 8 megabytes, 8388608 bytes, 0x800000 bytes.

The ROM should be 8Megabytes, which equals 1024*1024*8 bytes, or 0x00800000 bytes in Hex notation.

> Each time I try to start Einstein with newton.rom and Einstein.rex in
> /Application Support/Einstein Platform, or some other folder, I either get
> nothing but a crash dialog, or briefly a gray screen with "booting" in the
> center before the crash.
>
> And each launch if I've deleted newton.rom.img it gets re-created before
> the crash.

Yes, the .img file gets recreated if you delete it. The emulator needs it to run.

> Uninstalling Wacom tablet drivers and/or Axiotron Quickclicks didn't help.
>
> There must be some extension Activity Monitor doesn't show that picks up
> the Wacom tablet anyway, because the pen still moves cursor around plus a
> few other rudimentary mouse functions.

I have no idea why any driver should interfere with Einstein

> 10.7.2, 2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Same here. Working fine.

> Sure hope I can get Einstein to work! I spent lots shekels thinking
> ModBook would be solution to dying Newtons.

Hmm. Do you have any developer knowledge? You could doenload Xcode and the sources, and it will tell you where Einstein crashes.

 - Matthias