[NTLK] Newton Repair Question

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 30 19:51:09 EDT 2012

There could be unseen damage. I've seen boards where there are one or
two visibly burned components, but repairs made to those still didn't
result in a fixed unit. Oftentimes there is damage to parts that isn't
visible.

You need a 220 volt adapter...it might have been a good idea to take
one along "just in case". I wouldn't trust my Newton (or any of my
devices) to be subjected to a higher voltage, even though it says that
it will accept it. It's happened to me, and once was enough. I'm
guessing that's now true for you as well. ;)

Another good idea would have been to make a backup of your Newton
before trying the 220 outlet. Again, just being more safe than sorry.

Sorry for what might seem to be kicking you while you are down...I'm
only trying to be of help, not be preachy or take an "I told you so"
attitude.

Once when I was traveling the plastic clip that held my shoulder strap
of my laptop bag broke as I was entering my hotel...my Titanium
PowerBook inside hit the concrete parking lot. I rushed inside with a
sick feeling and powered it up...it turned out that the screen was
intact and okay. The left front corner was what hit, and it cracked
the case pretty bad, and there was a very small dent on the corner of
the clamshell/display lid. I got the bright idea: that shouldn't be a
problem, I'll get some slipjoint pliers and gently squeeze it to
straighten it out.

I heard a crack...guess what happened? That's right, I cracked the
display. There was now a small one inch ribbon of display running down
the left side, the rest of it was black.

I was sick. I sat in the chair in my hotel room for almost an hour,
not moving. It was a very stupid thing to do ... I should have thought
it through more carefully.

Since then I'm always trying to think ahead...can I put this (iPad,
iPhone, etc.) here? Will it get knocked off and be subjected to
damage? I don't know that you can ever be too careful.

Thanks.
--Forrest