[NTLK] Cars and computing [WAS: "Re: Delurking and intro"]

Andrei Chichak newton at chichak.ca
Sun Nov 20 12:32:28 EST 2011

UN*X boxen - when I hung out with unix biggots, the prime measure of success was uptime. A machine that had not been rebooted in 2 years was good, 3 years - better. So, UN*X boxes are Volvos, the engine might be small compared to the alternatives, but they do the work and don't stop.

Amigas - due to the chronology, a Delorean. Looked great, lusted to get one if I had way too much money, went away.