[NTLK] Call for Einstein domain names

Warren Ockrassa wockrassa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 11:55:42 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Terence Griffin
<terence.griffin at nist.gov> wrote:

> Certainly they can't prevent someone one named Einstein from using the
> name commercially if it doesn't cause market confusion, say Einstein Carpet
> Cleaners.

Or Einstein Brothers, a US national bagel chain:

http://www.einsteinbros.com/

or the Einstein Healthcare Network:

http://www.einstein.edu/

I believe Albert Einstein's family is protective of using his visage,
specifically, as a product image, endorsement, or similar. To borrow a
date-appropriate analogy*, using the image of Mickey Mouse on your
motor oil can would be a violation of Disney's trademark. I believe
Einstein's family is similarly protective of using Albert's picture on
anything - such as, ah, the Einstein emulator icon. :\

They might extend that protection, as well, to a product meant to
reference his name particularly, just for the sake of it. If it's a
big point of concern, it might be worth either changing the name of
the emulator - or contacting a trademark attorney to see what is
actually protected, what precedence there is, and whether the Einstein
family is really that litigious.

Or, you know, maybe just contacting the Einstein family and asking for
permission or clarification of use would be enough.

--
-- Warren Ockrassa | nightwares.com

* Today is Walt Disney's birthday.