[NTLK] eMate Hinge Repair Questions

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 23 15:23:24 EDT 2011

Brian:

The first rule of soldering, as any high school shop teacher will tell you, is: "Heat the work, NOT the solder!" (do they still even HAVE shop teachers any more?).

While heating the solder will cause it to melt, it needs to flow into the electrical juncture or splice to be effective (a "cold soldered" union is both weak and brittle...and doesn't conduct electricity very well). To accomplish this, you need to heat the intended target with the soldering iron momentarily (longer for a larger area or diameter of wire, very quickly for a circuit board component or small wire splice). Most of the time you'll want to use silver solder that is very small in diameter.

DO NOT use acid core solder, such as that used to join copper pipes or in plumbing work! This will gradually eat away at the soldered joint. Rosin core is preferred for larger wire and when joining larger components, typically known as 60/40 (tin/lead alloy). Silver (silver-bearing, as it is known) is probably best for the smaller wire connections found on most small electronic devices, no flux is required.

Wattage determines the power most soldering irons have...for small work a 25 watt one should be good enough. If you find you are doing many different types of electrical soldering work you might want to invest in an iron with more wattage, such as a 100 watt...I have several different sizes that I might use, depending on the job.

To disconnect a wire from a part or soldered joint first be sure the iron is hot enough (solder should melt freely when a small bit is applied)...then, briefly touch the iron to what you wish to desolder or remove until it comes free. Reconnecting is typically the reverse of this procedure, the difference being that you might need to apply more solder to make the connection a good one (likely, there could be enough left from the original union to remake the connection without any extra).

BE CAREFUL not to allow the iron to remain too long on any part of a circuit board! Not only might you accidentally "pull up" some of the delicate copper traces on the board, but you could damage surrounding components, both externally and internally. Keep it on the targeted area just long enough to remove or join whatever it is you're working with.

This is much of what I know about soldering...I share this hoping it will be of use to you, both now and in the future.

Thanks,

--Forrest

Sent from my First Generation iPad