[NTLK] Hi Newton users, question about the best way to go for getting connected

Steve S. shawsteve at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:21:45 EDT 2011

I've had a used Newton for some time (since a little before the iPhone
era), and I previously followed this list fairly avidly in an attempt to
figure out some way to get connected to my network.  I tried to go the
cable route and after some misadventures, gave up.

I recently brought out my old Newton, which seems to work fine except
that the batteries are nearing the ends of their little lives.  And of
course, the calendar/time are now totally wonky and I need the 2010
patch.  I'd also like to get a WiFi PC card and eventually use the
Newton wirelessly on my home network.  Since I have no way to connect, I
have the typical bootstrapping problem.  My computers are both new Macs
(iMac and Air) running OS X 10.6 and 10.7.  My Newton is a Messagepad
2100 with 1 4 mb PCMCIA card.  Backlight works fine, handwriting
recognition is good, no jaggies---I'm THIS CLOSE to having a fine little
unit.

I'm soliciting opinions on the least expensive and most hassle-free way
to connect and hopefully revive my Newton into the useful device I know
it can be.  Is the USB card from Newtonsales.com the way to go?
(http://www.newtonsales.com/usb-001.pdf).

Thanks for any thoughts.