[NTLK] Wallstreet II

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 20:48:38 EDT 2011

~~~ On 2011/08/17 00:27, Lloyd Conway at doc_retro at juno.com wrote ~~~

>     It's my intent to use the WS as my daily computer for at least 30
> days to see if a computer that vintage can still perform.

For what it's worth Lloyd, although I have a 2008 black MacBook for going on
the road, I still prefer my Pismos, one in particular that I regard as my
"real" computer.  I retired Lady Pismo from her status as travel workhorse
in 2008 when I discovered (during a trip that included exposure to primitive
mains supply and extended time in the woods!) that I could no longer be
assured of sourcing parts at short notice if something went wrong while I
was travelling.  Until then I'd counted on (and sometimes made use of) the
Pismo's superior capacity to be field-stripped and repaired while I was
gadding about, but then parts started becoming more scarce and more
expensive.  After my power frisbee met a power surge, I found myself at a
crucial point where I needed a new one and it was going to take almost a
week.  I realized this could've happened when I needed to complete
time-critical work, and I would fail because the part might be unobtainable
quickly.

True, the MacBook is faster, is new enough that it shouldn't need repairs
for some time to come, and the technology in it is newer so it does a few
things my Pismo struggled with.  BUT -- it's a mere computer, not a Pismo,
which is the only other piece of kit in all my years of computing that I've
really "loved".  The keyboard isn't even close to being as comfortable as my
Pismo's, and for long periods of typing the palm-rests are a misery.  I take
no pleasure in owning and using it as I do with my Pismos or my Newts (yes,
I have more than one of each and couldn't live any other way).

Bottom line:  if something happened to the MacBook, as long as my data
backups don't fail, the only thing I'd be sad about is the money spent on
replacement if insurance doesn't cover it.  But if something happened to a
Pismo, I'd really hate it.  And that's why I retired all my Pismos from the
road to where they're safe, and where I expect to be using at least one of
them 10 years from now.

So except for high-end processing which the G3s do struggle with, I suspect
you'll find your Wall Street is still wonderful.

Shalom.

Christian

Pismo: so beautiful, you know you want one!
http://www.ahinfo-systeme.ch/quickime/PowerBook_g3.htm
http://www.lowendmac.com/webb/04/0329.html

Fight Spam.  Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/