[NTLK] Newton 120

Lloyd Conway doc_retro at juno.com
Fri Aug 12 19:13:29 EDT 2011

Hello, Tony:
      This did the trick.  it's a 2.0 machine.  Thanks (and also to Joe) for the tech support.
Regards,
-Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

I don't have a MP 130 but this is how it works in NOS 2.1; and I don't think
NOS 2.0 is that different.

Open the Extras Drawer, then tap the "i" button.

The resultant slip should tell you what version of OS you are using.

Mine MP2100 says "ROM Version 2.1 (711000)-1".

HTH

Cheers

Tony Kan

Christchurch
New Zealand

IIRC os 2.0 and up had the insertion caret and the "new" button in notes which earlier versions didn't.

-Joe

Hello (again), Ron:
     It's good to hear from you.  Thanks for the tips.  I think that the unix part may be a challenge, but I'll start by seeing if the freenet I belong to has such a thing as a unix shell account option.
Regards,
-Lloyd

Hello (again) Lloyd!

Yes, you can do email on a MessagePad 120. I was doing exactly that with my first Newton. However, the devil is in the details.

What you need:
A) GoFetch v1.26 (UNNA)
B) PCMCIA modem (eBay)
C) Unix dial-up shell access account

OK... the first two items are probably easy. The third item might stop the average Newton user. Of course, most Newton users are above average....

--
http://myworld.ebay.com/doc_retro/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
https://sites.google.com/site/docretrovintagecomputing/