[NTLK] Memory card woes

Rusty Miles Rusty.Miles at tn.gov
Thu Apr 21 17:17:48 EDT 2011

I'm hoping someone out there can help me with this memory card issue.  I'm trying to figure out if I got a bad card, I have a problem with my Newton or if this card just won't work with my Newton.

I bought a 4 MB Linear Flash memory card from Synchrotech and can't get my MP 100 to read it.  Every time I try to use it the following happens:

I get the message;

"Newton still needs the card you removed.
Please insert it now, or information on the card may be damaged."

That message flashes rapidly about 12 times (if it only flashed once I would not be able to read it).  That is followed by the message;

"The card you inserted cannot be read.
(This memory card is write protected)
Do you want to completely erase this card?"

with the option to "Erase" or quit ("X").

When I tap "Erase" the cycle repeats.  I checked that the write protect is NOT on.  The card is labeled "Linear Flash, Intel Series II, Dual Voltage 5/12V and was advertised as having 2k of attribute memory.  My Message Pad is running NOS 1.3 (414059).

I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop with a PCMCIA slot running Windows 2000 that I tried the card in as well, and after following the steps on Synchrotech's web site to load a usable driver, the system recognized the card and listed it in Windows Explorer as a external drive, but would not let me format the card.

I also talked to Synchrotech and they sent me a demo version of a piece of software called MCE (Memory Card Explorer) and got basically the same results as above with the additional information that the hardware did not support the 12v write operation required (which explains why I couldn't format it above).

Am I missing something?  Does anyone have any ideas on How I can get this card to work?  Anyone feel like making a trip to Nashville with their Newton?

Rusty