[NTLK] Who here thinks the iPad is a worthy replacement for the Newton?

Frank Lowney frank.lowney at gcsu.edu
Mon Mar 22 10:25:50 EDT 2010

On Mar 21, 2010, at 2:34 PM, R A Parker wrote:

> On Saturday, March 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
>
>> No contract required for the AT&T iPad
>
> All I need now is a free ¡Pad and and I would be as happy as an eMate in a clamshell.
>

>> data plan. IIRC, $15/month for
>> 250 MB; $40/month for unlimited.
>
> Blech! Capped data plans. I'm currently locked into AT&T for another year. $30/mo unlimited data. I won't be interested in an iPad for at least that long, or longer. I'm hoping Google's answer to 4G/WiMax becomes more than a pipe dream. Unlimited data and a single phone/internet plan.

You might be able to tether that iPad to your iPhone via BlueTooth and thereby get more bang for the monthly fee you’re paying AT&T.

From Apple re thethering a MacBook:
Set up a tethering connection:
In Settings, choose General > Network > Internet Tethering.

Slide the Internet Tethering switch to On.

Connect iPhone to your computer:

USB:  Connect your computer to iPhone, using the Dock Connector to USB Cable. In your computer’s Network services settings, choose iPhone.

On a Mac, a pop-up window appears the first time you connect, saying “A new network interface has been detected.” Click Network Preferences, configure the network settings for iPhone, then click Apply. On a PC, use the Network Control Panel to configure the iPhone connection.

Bluetooth:  On iPhone, choose Settings > General > Bluetooth and turn on Bluetooth. Then refer to the documentation that came with your computer system software to pair and connect iPhone with your computer.

When you’re connected, a blue band appears at the top of the screen. Tethering remains on when you connect with USB, even when you aren’t actively using the Internet connection.

-----------------------------

Of course we won’t know for sure until someone actually does this and that won’t likely happen until after April 3.

Speech recognition should work but what about handwriting recognition?  Without a stylus, we’re trying to write fat-fingered.  Anyone for shorthand (aka Speed Writing)?  Touch input for Chinese and Japanese has already been demonstrated so it’s really just a short hop to shorthand.  Problem there is that few people know how to do shorthand.  Would they learn?

> To answer the question: Is the iPad a worthy replacement for the Newton... Nope, that honor goes to my iPhone. Because everything I used to keep track of on my Newton, is now on my iPhone. Touch, slide, access, read, tap, link, sync, and connect.
>
> Except notes and emails. I can handwrite anywhere, any time, and my 2100 is always on, ready to pick up right where I left off. Moving data around is as simple as a tapping out a self addressed envelope. Essentially, my Newton IS the HWR extension for my iPhone. And, email is my transport.
>
> --
> Sent using Mail V and a Wireless Newton 2100.
> --
> RAParker
>   |\/|\ @ Newted.ORG
>   |/-|/ @ Quadzilla.NET
>   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
> --
> My name is R A Parker. I own a Newton and a Mac.
> --

Dr. Frank Lowney  Georgia College & State University
    Senior Director for External Projects
       and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College
    Web Enabled Resources,
    GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
    E-Mail: frank.lowney at gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney at me.com
    Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate most effectively via e-mail.  Follow-up summaries of telephone conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.
We don't make instruction effective, we make effective instruction more accessible.