[NTLK] Old Technologies

Don Zahniser dzahniser at rochester.rr.com
Fri Feb 19 19:58:35 EST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 7:26 PM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> Anyone remember 45 players for cars? Talk about skipping!

A friend of mine had one in his Mercedes.  The thing I remember about
it was that it was 'upside-down' - the tone arm tracked the record
from the bottom.

His family was a bit on the well-to-do side.  The Mercedes and a
Citroen were hand-me-downs from his parents - He drove them around
the unused horse track on the family farm (tax haven, probably).  The
house for the hired help was bigger than the one my parents owned.
We were 13 at the time.  His father was some sort of VP or something
with RCA. He had his own 'home' video camera and recorder - in 1963!
It used one inch video tape. IIRC.  The father was involved with the
RCA pavilion at the NY World's Fair.  We went to the first two days
that it was open, and had the office/apartment in the back of the
pavilion to take breaks in.  Thinking back on that, most of what was
displayed as 'future' stuff is long since obsolete or bypassed
completely.

  - Don