[NTLK] QuickFigure Pro observation

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Thu Feb 11 09:41:03 EST 2010

I don't have Pro, but I've seen QF Works spreadsheets get corrupted
and no longer usable.

No, I don't know any way to recover.

I've not seen the problem since I decided to keep Newt's spreadsheets
relatively simple, small, straightforward.

I've not tried to calculate, but I suspect a QF formula has a
relatively low capacity to keep track of links to other cells,
especially ones also containing formulas.

Or it may just be a limit how many formulas of a given complexity QF
can handle in one sheet.

Free system heap and RAM are obvious limits also, but I suspect QF
sheets don't usually get corrupted by running out of memory; the
input that exhausts memory just fails until one frees up more.

Bottom line: when pushing QF's limits, duplicate or back up frequently!

As an example what QF Works CAN handle, what I suspect is my most
complicated successful spreadsheet has about 50 formulas on about 25
rows. Each row has the same two formulas referring to adjacent values
in the same row. The first formula is a simple multiplication against
the value of the first spreadsheet cell, the second subtracts another
value from the multiplication cell and then divides by the
multiplication cell.

Happy Newtoning!