[NTLK] Times do change

Goodwin, Greg P. GoodwinG at aafes.com
Fri Feb 5 10:35:41 EST 2010

From: Jon Glass

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG at aafes.com> wrote:
> Wasn't the Newton modem (the external one) a 2400 baud modem?   I had a T-Jack 2400 PCMCIA modem for my Newton 110.   Though that was slow even for then (1994) I still thought the modem looked cool.

Yes, it was 2400bd for data, but 9600 for fax, both directions. While
my 9600bd modem was much faster at email than my Newton cig modem, it
didn't travel well, so I typically put up with 2400bd for months on
end with mine. I actually enjoyed it. I would sit in someone's kitchen
and download my AOL email, and they would be just amazed that
something so small could do that! ;-) Oh well.... times _do_ change.
;-)

You know, I was thinking about something like this other day.  So much has changed, so much become common place, and yet I was thinking about my initial cool factor I experienced with the Newton.

That rubberized feel of the Newton, taking notes, the poof of the thing I just scribbled out, the crinkling of the note I just threw away, the shrill it would make when an error happened that seemed to almost say "Wrong!"

To recapture that feel of newness and how cool it was.

Truthfully, few devices were doing what the Newton could do then, and to do all the Newton could do in such a small form with such ease was just gadget cool.   I mean it was cool enough I was able to use the Newton to break the ice with a few women I dated and one I married.

And yes, I used to connect my Newton at the restrarant at the top floor of my building at work and then read my E-mail messages on the go.  All and all.. wow.

Start to wonder if newsgroup reading would be fun to do on the Newton again, just take a bit to set up all the newsgroups in the Newton.  And E-mail reading would be fun, if I didn't need to have such a strong filter for spam E-mail.  :)

    .    .   Doctor Clu  (member of...)
    )\,,/    THE PRISON BOARD BBS  972-329-0781 / telnet://rdfig.net
   /(- _O)   Fido/Dovenet Messages, Games, chat, newsgroup & Mail
  ( \____ )  Old School Computer BBS list (X at main then A or C)