[NTLK] Flash card direct backup?

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Mon Feb 1 12:58:20 EST 2010

On 2/1/2010 9:53 AM, Brett Feinblatt wrote:
> Just wondering, I've never seen any mention of it, but for the
> external flash memory cards - particularly the larger ones - is there
> by any chance a bit of software for the Classic MacOS that would
> allow you to just pop the PC memory card into the the slot on an old
> Powerbook and do a direct backup/wipe/restore from there?
>
> I've been using the serial connection, but for whatever reason, the
> system starts to hang after a little while when I try to backup, and
> so far I haven't been able to do a full one. I could probably do it
> piecemeal - back up this bit one time, that part later, etc. until I
> get it all, but I'm not entirely happy with that plan.
>
> The card, incidentally, is fairly large - 24 MB.
>
> Thanks

Nope.  The newton uses its own method of storage on the card and nothing
else can read it directly.  If you use the right tools you can "clone" a
exact copy of the card to another card.  But that is it.  You can't do
direct data manupliation.  And back up this part or restore that part.
The Newton doesn't use a file system like a Mac or PC.  Therefore all
the Mac will see is a card in a format it can't understand and ask you
to format it if you want to use it.

-Dan