[NTLK] Thinking of giving it all up

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 14:10:15 EST 2010

~~~ On 2010/12/07 17:14, PMichael Rodgers at pmiker at copper.net wrote ~~~

> Lord Groundhog,
> Any ideas on how an old you know what can learn to program?  Where to
> start and with what?  Newtonscript is not exactly the most
> common/current/easy programming language.
>
> Just remember my limitations: my age, dialup only connectivity and
> limited funds.
> Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not the one to ask.  I had to give up programming years ago and long
before I met the Newton, due to the pressures of my work.  If/when I retire
I hope to go back to it, and I'll probably start with Newton if it still
exists, but.  So at this point I can't be of any help.   For now there are
people here who currently are in the game, and I'm sure they'll be happy to
offer sensible advice.

One little thing:  I know a little about the effects of age, both in theory
and in practice.  You can still do it, but you have to give yourself extra
time and not get down on yourself for taking longer over things than you
used to do.  That's part of the deal.  OTOH you'll be able to learn what
you're doing quite thoroughly and with focus, so what you lack in speed and
quantity you can make up for with quality.

As for dialup connectivity, I don't know if that's really much of a
limitation now.  Just think:  some of the most amazing programming ever done
was accomplished in the world of dialup, and even the Newton was developed
in the age before the wide adoption of high-speed internet.

I don't know that funding will be all that bad either.  A lot of what you
need is probably downloadable from the Newton sites.  The rest may be
available on loan.

Over to you guys for the real info!  :-)

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4