[NTLK] Updating the Newton OS of an Original MessagePad

M. Horvat redjazz_slo at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 13:58:09 EST 2010

> Could you begin by sharing a small list of what you
> consider essential software add-ons for 1.x devices (or at
> least for *your* Newton)?

Well, it really depends on what you want to use it for (Newtons are personal devices!), and it's been a few months since I last used my Newton (long story, I would if I could). The ones I can think of right now:

* Buttons.pkg is a package that puts shortcut buttons onto the Notepad button bar, for punctuation (like the caret in NOS 2.x), bullet lists, ink width, the Styles palette, and some other stuff. (Note: you might have a hard time finding it.)

* Graffiti, which is the input system used on Palms, and it's useful if you want to write notes very quickly, or there's not enough lighting (no backlight, remember?), or you want to keep your sight on something else while writing, or a combination of those (I actually did all three at a lecture).

* DontAsk (by Steve Weyer), which disables the "Do you want to add...?" questions in the on-screen keyboard. Useful if your native language isn't English.

-Matej Horvat