[NTLK] How many Newtons were sold?

Sonny Hung sonnyhung at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:20:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Grant Hutchinson <grant at splorp.com> wrote:

> Riccardo Mori tweeted that the book Apple Confidential 2.0 "...
> reports 88,000 Newtons sold in 1995, 63,000 in 1996 and 43,000 in the
> first half of 1997."

Hey, let me interject here that just after Newton was cancelled there was
concern that there was not going to be enough MP2100s available for those
who were already engaged in projects centered around a Newton. I think there
was a report that there were at least 20,000 to 50,000 (I think it was
closer to 50k) of available supply iirc. (if someone recalls what I'm
referring to can you verify or give a more accurate account as to the number
please)

However after that report I was on the Newton board back then where there
was a for sale board and happen to see a posting there for anyone interested
in selling a MP2100. I called their number and was informed that for a
pristine MP2100 or MP2000u they would pay $1,000 each unit for just the unit
itself. This was the Petrosains Project out in science museum in the
Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur. It seems that the large supply reported had
mysteriously and quickly dried up.

That recent Harris Access Device GPS photo on my Flickr Stream has a
production date of September 1998. And when I check the I was sent to cover
the $2.00 shortage on my original payment for my Newtons it's date 9/2/1998.
Our beloved Newtons were involved with many projects likely we will never
know about unless we see it. I don't expect ever to hear an accurate account
unless Apple decides to include it in a book they write about the subject
themselves...

God bless,

Sonny Hung
the Hung Family