[NTLK] [OT] OS X VM, swapping (was speed: OS X's fault)

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sat Sep 26 2009 - 15:05:20 EDT

Hold the presses!

I just discovered my hack doesn't work -- Waah!

Swapping is still alive and well.

Swapfiles are just being created in a temporary location* instead of
where OS X prefers (per dynamic_pager.plist).

                      * /private/tmp/tempVM/vm

So why am I getting freezes and memory monitoring stats are all messed up?

Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

Clearly all the performance benefits I'm seeing are from MemTools
freeing up RAM often (I presume by purging). I presume that's why
system seems to generate much less swap than before.

So maybe that's all I need to do, have MemTools clear free memory
regularly. It's currently set to recycle when free gets below 11%.

Stay tuned!