Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: speed: OS X's fault

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sat Sep 26 2009 - 13:42:03 EDT

On 25/9/09, L.W. Brown wrote:

>modify plist to point VM file to nonexistent directory

Quite a bit more complicated from my point of view because one needs
to edit the .plist correctly and preserve correct permissions.

I'd appreciate a link to the method. Presumably dynamic_pager isn't
capable of creating a non-existent directory. But I'd be nervous it
was still running and consuming CPU with lots useless activity. I
don't know how to test for that directly, since it's not one of the
processes Activity Monitor displays.

I know my hack completely stops paging 'cause the single swapfile
ever remains empty, and the machine finally acts like a supercomputer.

The ideal fix, of course, is a dynamic_pager that works properly.
Perhaps the fellow I mentioned will share his modified version soon.

>repairing permissions would reverse plist hack

Indeed, one would need to re-do, but it's extremely easy: just copy
the file outside the system folders (changes permissions), then copy
back to original location. Or one could save the file with wrong
permissions someplace and simply copy back to correct location: Just
a couple of very familiar Finder commands.

Thanks,