Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: speed: OS X's fault

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Sep 23 2009 - 04:05:28 EDT

I dunno, on my aspire one the stock Intel 8gb SSD is the bottleneck and it doesn't spin :-)
I found out after I got it just how slow the stock (read: cheap) SSD is, but it was still the cheapest netbook for hackintoshing and slightly slimmer then the HDD models (it can take a zif HDD if I really want to get froggy). I never saw much from disabling swap as I only run a few things at a time (xcode, IB, camino and preview)but I did try it to speed up safari but since safari uses its own disk caches and wasn't touching swap it didn't do anything. The solution was to use a system preference pane add on callled esperance DV. It creates ram disks like used to be on OS9 and can restore a ram disk image at startup so I have a ram disk image loaded with portable camino that loads at startup and since all of Portable Caminos caches are on ram disk I can actually surf the net quickly compared to safari (with caches on the SSD). Esperance DV is supposed to have an option to move safari caches to ram disk but it didn't seem to do anything for current safari versions (which is why I use portable camino). Didn't r
eally understand why people use ram disks until I got a slow SSD :-D

Joe Reilly