Re: [NTLK] [OT] Re: speed: OS X's fault

From: L.W. Brown <lwb_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Sep 21 2009 - 16:43:53 EDT

Intrigued, I looked into this technique.
I, too, don't want to bother compiling in order to turn off swapping
completely - esp. as I read that swapping is necessary when copying
files.
Did find a way to limit the size of swap files, and implemented that
using Lingon on the System agent that sets the swap directory.
Also learned about the "purge" command (available only when CHUD is
installed) that will empty out heap - OSX no longer empties heap at
all - then created my own agent with Lingon to run "purge" every hour.
Those 2 tricks have sped things up a bit on oldLeop.
You don't need these tricks on SnoLeop, as memory mgt has (reportedly)
dramatically improved.