[NTLK] Is that a Newton in your pocket? Or...

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 18:20:06 EDT

Hello,

--- On Sat, 9/12/09, reilly001os@aol.com <reilly001os@aol.com> wrote:

> The newton is too grippy with it's rubber coating IMHO, I made a slide
> case for my newt

May I ask what material the case is made from? You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, I'm just curious.

> and it puts up a bit of a fight every time I put it away
> lol luckily I made the case a little loose or I'd never be able to put it
> away!

Was the Newton's rubberized surface widely considered to be a liability during the Newton's heyday?

Ryan Vetter's comment about the Newton's rubberized surface vs. the iPhone's slick one had me wondering if "Newton Snag" is/was a common affliction. I freely admit that, after reading his post, I spent a couple minutes sliding an MP2000 into/out of its fabric case (holster) because, frankly, I had never personally encountered any problems cropping up when taking the MP out or putting it away. That's not to say that they are necessarily completely absent, just that I wasn't familiar with them myself. [shrugs]

Yes, the Newton has a grippy surface, but it doesn't seem (to my rheumy and untutored eye, at least) as though it would be grippy enough that snagging it on fabric is a concern. However, I can't claim to have spent a lot of time hauling a Newton out of/placing it into the pockets of regular clothes as few, if any, of my pockets are big enough for it. When I cart my Newton around, it's in a holster rather than a pocket of my clothing.

Is there anyone out there who has spent a lot of time shoving a Newton into/hauling it out of their clothes pockets who can comment on this, one way or the other?

Best,

James Fraser