Re: [NTLK] No iNewton announced today

From: Chilton Webb <chilton_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 09:37:28 EDT

Hi,

On Sep 11, 2009, at 5:47 AM, James Fraser wrote:
> --- On Fri, 9/11/09, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> And the iPhone not a market leader? They have sold over 30
>> million of them, making it one of the most successful cell
>> phones ever.
> I have to ask: what *percentage* of all cell phones currently in use
> are iPhones?
>
> True, 30 million phones is an impressive number. But it's really
> only meaningful if it's the put in the context of market share.
> While Apple has certainly achieved a lot in terms of coming from out
> of nowhere and selling phones, I'm not sure if the iPhone has yet to
> crest 10% in terms of actual market share.

In many developing countries, cell phone infrastructure is much
cheaper to build than a traditional line based one. And in some
countries, the government subsidizes the cost of super cheap cell
phones to provide a means of communication for their people.

So the number of dirt cheap cell phones doesn't actually affect
whether you could call the iPhone the market leader or not, unless
you're only considering the iPhone only a cell phone.

And I really, really hope Apple isn't trying to take over the *entire*
cell phone market.

By extension, I hope the Tablet Mac is *not* something Apple tries to
market to the masses. That would fail. If it markets it to its core
user base, though, I think it will be a stunning success.

-Chilton