Re: [NTLK] [OT] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 22:08:30 EDT

Hmmm...

My beef with Sony goes back to the fiasco that was MiniDisc - what
could have been an excellent format and replacement for compact
cassettes sunk by marketing & protection driven paranoia, thusly ...

OK, you can record your own original music. But don't try copying it
digitally, because although it's your own composition we use SCMS so we
think you're a copyright cheat.
- then -
OK, you can get music on to a MiniDisc with a computer, but not those
nasty MP3 things, and no way are you getting your music back off of a
MiniDisc.
- then -
OK, you can put those nasty MP3 things onto a MiniDisc - but we'll
torture you with the horror that is SonicStage to do it. And you still
can't get them back off.
- then -
OK, you can put those nasty MP3 things on and we'll play them natively
- but only if you use an even more horrible version of SonicStage, and
only with certain models of recorder, and definitely *not* with a Mac !
- then -
OK, we'll let you use some truly godawful software to get your music
onto a MiniDisc with a Mac. But only with certain (different) models of
MiniDisc recorder, and you still can't get your music back off again.
- then -
OK, we'll let you get your music back off again, but only with certain
(different *again*) models of recorder.

The whole sorry story took something like 11 years to get from the
first point on the list to the last=2
0(not to mention the money spent on
buying the next model along), and it was pretty much all utterly
unnecessary. Technologically there was no reason for most of the
stupid, petty and downright annoying roadblocks Sony seemed determined
to put in the way of people simply using their products. All they did
was make consumers (who in some cases had actually bought MiniDisc
recorders, then discovered the restrictions and took the product back
to the store and exchanged it for an MP3 player/recorder) ditch the
format.

That's *my* Sony horror story... with the array of MiniDisc recorders
I've got, I could almost do a version of "Deck of Cards" with them... !

- Tony