Re: [NTLK] [OT] New Sony eReader PRS-600: Newton/Kindle Killer?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 02 2009 - 18:21:17 EDT

Yeah...but we all need to remember what kind of citizen Sony is. I have a long memory and as such do not forgive Sony their indiscretions so readily. And you don't really need to go back very far either...One thing we should NEVER forget is Sony's treatment of their customers as criminals and illegally spying on people and their misuse of the public trust. Add into that, the hundreds of dollars of support calls their customers had to endure to fix what never should have occurred in the first place! Then there is Sony's illegal use of a licensed icon for an illegal product! I am, of course, talking about Sony's Root Kit fiasco. I personally had to deal with this. My family (mom, sister and wife) were all *infected* by this mess that Sony had propagated and did little to nothing to compensate me for my hours of trying to discover what the problem was and then when I finally found the problem, the hours necessary to repair the Sony inflicted torture! I had
 already dispised Sony for their proprietary hardware/software use, so this root kit of Sony's did little to make me hate them further. As such, I have made it my *PERSONAL MISSION* to make sure that the internet does not forget what kind of citizen Sony is. And to make their purchasing decisions based on the knowledge that Sony does not care about their customers, because you are first and foremost a criminal that they need to protect themselves from and that you have no recourse but to comply with Sony's demands (Sony is one of the major backers of the RIAA along with the other major record lables).
So please, bear in mind, that when you purchase a Sony product, you are buying into a closed architecture that leads only to Sony and possibly being taken advantage of by Sony's bean counters for ways to pull even more money out of your pockets.
Ed
web/gadget guru

By Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel winner (1918-1988)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."