Re: [NTLK] My newton future... :-(

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 22:04:27 EDT

Hello,

--- On Thu, 10/8/09, Andrew Beals <andrew.beals@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 8:11 AM,
> Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG@aafes.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I saw a site that claimed if you subscribed to it, you
>> could find out who has googled you.
>

> It's a scam. Their initial advertising on FB, "Who
> searched you?" with its wincingly incorrect construction should be a big > hint.
>
> The closest you can get is Google Trends: http://www.google.com/trends
> Which is to say if your name is one of the top ten searches
> on "the google" ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ45fO1uiOQ ) then you
> can be sure that someone or someones is either trying to find you, has
> tried a DDOS on the google (see above link), or the google (ibid) has a
> serious bug. You can't know *who* is doing the search.

Thank you for the clarification.

As the line between the wildly improbable and the entirely possible blurs, it is sometimes hard to know just what claims to take seriously. That said, it did strike me as being, um, a bit of a stretch for a site to claim that they can tell you *who* was searching for you (as opposed to being able to tell you that "someone" was searching for you).

I can certainly understand why a company would attempt to make such a claim, though. :)

Best,

James Fraser