Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Another Newton feature now available for the iPhone

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 02:35:45 EDT

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Jim Lee <jimlee@centurytel.net> wrote:
> Actually, a plain 'ol PC *can* run Mac OS X.  It's just that doing so
> violates Apple's license agreement.  Google "kalyway" for more info.

Make that with a multitude of asterixes and caveats. I have now tried
on two different laptops, and discovered one could only get a very
unsatisfying and incomplete sort of install, due to hardware. It can
be done, but it won't always work like a Mac, and guaranteed, it will
never install like on a Mac. And I refuse to help my friends who try
it. I don't need the headaches. And SnowLeopard is making it harder
and harder to do it. In fact, for what I have, 10.5.8 is out of the
question... blech.

And for the "for what it's worth" department. Apple (or at least
Apple, when it was using its head, never went after market share. They
don't need "market share" per se... They just need raw sales, and a
healthy developer environment. It's only Microsoft that has a
pathological need for market share.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland