Re: [NTLK] iPhone/Newton Checklist?

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 01:55:00 EDT

On Sunday, October 4, 2009 at 3:09 pm Reilly wrote:

> Pretty good list but it should have
> another category to denote availability
> of an app for each platform

> (built-in, third party) and what
> the feature level of those apps are
> (simple, modest, robust).

               Newton iPhone
             ---------- -----------
APPS yes(*) YES!

The apps for the Newton have always been Top Notch. They also deserve an asterisk on R A 's simplified (UPPER/lower case) rating scale. (* in this case = a dead end).

Things I like about iPhone apps:

* Touch and slide... smooth... natural.

* App Pricing!

* Watching DealMac.com for price drops and freebies.

* Many of the same functions and (Newton-like) ideas are available, and in an intuitive form that I'm already used to... only better.

* New Apps. Stuff that will never (could never) be available on my Newton.

> I mention this because of the misleading
> Notes listing. The iPhone HAS notes but
> the built-in app is simple and no where
> near feature level of the newtons built
> in notes

Hence my simplified (UPPER/lower case rating scale) rating of NOTES, in my previous post. To quote myself:

               Newton iPhone
             ---------- -----------
NOTES YES! Yes

My rating would tend to agree with your sentiment. Notes on MY Newton are managed by HyperNewt. The iPhone has a long way to go to catch up (if it ever could) to that level of organization. However...

> of course you can enhance the newt notes
> as well with third party options

> but some third party apps approach the
> Newton level.

I'm taking my time. I don't want to go App Store nuts, can't afford it. Currently, I'm experimenting with ezShare as another means of improving notes (document) management. This app gives me access to network resources in order to save, edit and/or retrieve documents which are located on websites or on my Mac or on my work (and) Home PC's.

I love my Newton's HyperNewt for Notes management and text based email. I love handwriting. And, it's easy enough to email anything on my Newton to myself for working on it, where ever I am.

> That being said have I found the
> iPod touch notes app to be a good next
> actions list manager since it starts up
> much faster then more robust third party
> notes apps

Yes... I agree. Another goal is to try use other iPhone Apps which also provide additional note capabilities. Copy and paste, save and close... easy enough.

> :-) now if it only had
> folders like on the newt I could use
> it to manage more then just a few note
> categories and a handful of notes

That's one thing I'm discovering about the iPhone... Apps are priced just right but each app only provides a small addition, feature-wise. It can sometimes take several apps to add the same functionality as a single app had for the Newton. Apps on the iPhone are more like extensions of the whole. I'm O.K. with that.

KEYBOARD-LESS Newton iPhone OPERATION: ---------- -----------
                   YES! YES

Teeny-Tiny buttons suck. T9 sucks. Trying to squeeze a standard form keyboard based on 1870's technology (the Typewriter) into a 2 inch square chicklet button pad... sucks. When compared to handwriting or a full sized keyboard.

Touch screens on mobile devices are the future. Docking and syncing and seamless network integration are the future. The iPhone has yet to come into full fruition. But it IS ahead of its time... Just like the Newton.

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
   |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM