Re: [NTLK] Another Newton feature now available for the iPhone

From: M. Horvat <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 14:03:47 EDT

> 1. Apple's Apple II OS beat out what Gates had tried to
> design, so
> Microsoft went shopping and swindled what became MS-DOS
> from its
> original developer.

My only experience with an Apple ][ comes from emulation, but, the Newton OS was also better than anything els in its field, but it didn't become nearly as successful as the Palm OS. What is your point here?

False. Windows (then named "Interface Manager") was already being developed in 1983 and the early betas were nothing like the final version. See this page for more details: http://toastytech.com/guis/win1983.html (BTW, you should browse through the whole site as it contains anti-IE pages. I also sent some NOS screendumps to this guy a while ago)

> 3. Gates told Microsoft Windows developers that he wanted
> Windows to be
> "just like" the Macintosh OS.

So what? Business is business. It's only natural for companies to try to have better products than their competitors.

> 4. Almost 16 YEARS later, they STILL haven't been able to
> do so. They
> are getting closer, but so far no cigar. Windows 95 = Mac
> OS 89.

The typical Mac fanboy excuse. Windows has evolved a lot from 95. BTW, Windows 95 had preemptive multitasking which Mac OS 7.x didn't.

> 5. Microsoft has never innovated; just copied/stolen
> someone else's ideas.

See number three. But I do find the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Surface (I've used both of them) innovative.

> 6. As a keyboard and mouse hardware company, Microsoft is
> good; as a
> software company, it sucks.

As I already said before, they would have gone bankrupt a long time ago if their products were really such crap. They wouldn't sell any licenses, you see.

Conclusion: everyone has their own OS of choice. Please respect that.

-Matej Horvat
(A Windows user who owns 2 classic Macs and uses one of them regularly and frequently uses modern MacBooks)