Re: [NTLK] My ultimate solution for transferring notes as attachments

From: Jeremy O'Brien <obrien654j_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 21:30:04 EDT

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:32:18AM -0400, Tony Morrow wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 1:40 AM, M. Horvat wrote:
>

> > I sometimes laugh when I see what complicated procedures you 2.x
> > users need to take just to do something that could easily be done
> > on 1.x with the NCK. But then again, we 1.x users can't use 90% of
> > hardware & software.
> >
> > -Matej Horvat
> > Sent from my PC because there's no program to do it on 1.x.
>
> NCU on both Macs and Windows are able to export notes with drawings
> (and I believe formatting) into RTF files if they are small enough in
> size. As long as they don't scroll on the Newton's screen your fine.
> Jeremy's issue was he was using Linux on his PC and his Mac was Intel
> based so he had no way of running NCU on either system without
> virtualization/emulation. Really, it had nothing to do with what NOS
> used, but how to connect the Newton to unsupported systems. I've
> tried running NCU under WINE, but have been unsuccessful in
> establishing a connection over serial.

I have never been able to get any sort of serial/parallel ports working
under wine. I'm not even sure if it's possible. I have been able to get
serial working under DOSBOX, but obviously that only allows running DOS
programs, like Slump. The notes I sent via MailV were longer than one
page, and rather complicated (I used a little bit of every input type.
shapes, sketches, ink text etc). I was really impressed with the
results. I'm curious what the upper limit on note complexity is when
sent via MailV. Oh, as a side note, I can choose whether to send the
note as a GIF or "Default", which sends it as a .nwt file. Are there any
converter tools out there for this format? I haven't found any use for
them.

> To Jeremy:
> Awesome work in getting notes off your Newton to Linux. I've
> contemplated running a simple SMTP server just for the purpose of
> getting stuff off my Newton for archive. I, too, have tried multiple
> ways to export things to Linux and have not had much success with the
> results.

Yeah, I definitely recommend setting up an SMTP server. I used postfix.
If you want my setup, I can give you all the nitty gritty details.
Server and newton side. I'm so happy I got this crap working. I can
finally use the newton with confidence. And the ability to backup/print
my notes is definitely going to come in handy. Long live the newton!