Re: [NTLK] eMate overclocked

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2009 - 12:58:43 EDT

Have you ever tried one of those? You gotta have 3 or 4 hands with 11 fingers on each hand!
You have to hold the board in one hand. That takes all available fingers on that hand.
With the other hand, you have to hold the soldering iron in a precision manner on the board, with at least 2 fingers depressing the de-soldering bulb. Try this without pulling up the pad...then you need to release the bulb fast enough to allow the bulb to suck up the melted solder...not an easy task...I like to use a plunger type solder sucker for my tougher desoldering issues.
Along this line of desoldering techniques...
I remember as a young person, after a particularly successful dumpster diving session (I live near the technology corredor in Northern Virginia) me and a friend scored about a dozen 13 X 15 inch boards populated with 2KB and 8KB chips (this was when I was a teenager mind you) and my RCA Cosmac Elf only had 4KB so I could use the extra memory...But these chips were soldered on both sides of the board...very tough to unsolder, even using the solder *BANG* method... You could only get one pin at a time and at 16 pins per chip, the chip was usually ruined from overheating it with the soldering iron 16 times!
The solution? We went to Radio Shack and got one of those miniature butane torches, heated up the board from the backside, and slammed it to the floor (actually it was the side walk at this point) and the chip would fall out of the board! And the cool part was we were getting at least a 60% success rate! I was able to create over 32kb of storage (the cosmac elf could only address 4kb of ram) I have to say, that was a quite successful endevor...I actually made money by selling some of the chips at my computer club at the highshcool!
Ed
web/gadget guru
By Richard Feynman, Physicist, Nobel winner (1918-1988)

"There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers."