Re: [NTLK] eMate overclocked

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 20:39:46 EDT

Sonny,

Clumsy hackers such as myself have received stern lectures in the past
( check archives ), but that hasn't stopped me. But if you don't have
truly dead logic boards to practice on you may not want to try this.!.

I use a pair of small horizontal nippers to grasp the crystal firmly
but gently. Rock gently along the long axis of the crystal to break
the bond of the plastic spacer to the logic board. Apply hot fine
pointed soldering iron to one contact and lift that end with the
nippers. A fraction of a second should do the job. Then the other
end, again very brief application of iron, the mission is to melt
solder with minimal transfer of heat.

I found the pads to be solder starved so I lightly tinned them.

I used a rather large SPDT switch and long wires as space permits, but
Stephanie's switch solution is much much better if you have a small
switch.

<http://planetstephanie.net/hi-tech-fun/newton/emate-overclock/>

Woody