Re: [NTLK] -10600 error on my Newton...

From: <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 03:30:51 EDT

On 1/6/09, Ed Kummel wrote:

>down in the dumps with this Newton problem...Newt's never let me down...
I can well relate. I got religion about backups after a card froze
like ten years ago -- I was very fortunate to have a recent backup
then. (details in PPS)

I then got complacent with no further data loss since -- until a few
months back when I lost a HyperNewt directory. That's with constant
use on average hours daily for appointments, contacts, calls,
prescribing, bank accounts, etc. (For the first few years it was my
only computer.)*

*BTW, for those concerned how long flash cards last: my 20 Meg Intel
card has held almost all my data all these years with no other
hitches.

Is there any other OS with such a stellar record of data stability?

I look forward to hearing whether HyperNewt can read your soup -- it
first "imports" notes, meaning it adds its unique slots to each
entry, thereby relating them to HyperNewt's directory scheme.

There are different options when one "imports." If your corrupted
soup is on a card, might try first installing HyperNewt without the
card inserted; if you have no notes on internal (or a different
card), create some notes on a different store from the corrupted one.
Once you've got HyperNewt working on some notes, insert the corrupted
soup and see if it will work with it. There are options to import
missing notes (those without HyperNewt directory slots) or to move
all notes to the root directory -- since you don't have HyperNewt
directories yet, nothing lost by latter procedure.

BTW, HyperNewt doesn't prevent using Notes as they were before
"importing". Freezing or removing HyperNewt restores Notes soup to
its state before HyperNewt. (Notes app ignores the added HyperNewt
slots.)

B C D

PS: I wish I could feel confident with NCX backups to Mac, but too
many horror stories from NCU days haunt my memory:

One of Newt's few significant shortcomings (for its time) is lack of
simple, reliable backing up (for the most of us with data on card(s)).

PPS: Standalone and others denied MoreFolders could have been at
fault, but card freeze occurred right after I created subfolders in
Extras drawer. I deleted the Extras subfolders and didn't have any
other data loss until recent Notes soup corruption. (Although a few
times I fiddled with a soup editor to fix problems I don't recall the
details of: none significant, just mild annoyances.)

Amazing li'l 'ol Newt doesn't sniff even slightly at soups with up to
16,000 + entries (Palmedic). They still display with hardly a delay
(though searching can take a few seconds).