Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jul 28 2009 - 11:00:04 EDT

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 10:01 AM, David Neale<david.neale@telenet.be> wrote:

> On the suggestion of others, I have changed the Airport wireless
> security to 40 bit WEP and entered the hex password equivalent in
> Lucent card setup (and restarted the Newton).

Good steps. I probably would've gone so far as to turn off WEP
entirely until you at least got a reliable connection from your Newton
to the Internet.

> Basically, with the settings you suggest, nothing changes: the error
> referring to smtp.orange.es remains when using the manual setup and
> the error referring to the inability to connect to the DHCP server
> remains when using the DHCP setup.

Did you try either of the manual configuration changes to rule out
DHCP as the problem?

> I've had enough now. I honestly believe that it is possible to set up
> the Newton fairly easily, but that there seems to be no-one who knows
> exactly how to configure the machine and its components in different
> environments.
>
> Thanks very much for all your help, but it is time to call it a day.
> It is simply too frustrating for me to continue.

I understand your frustration. It's not an easy problem to
troubleshoot remotely, but you've provided excellent information so
far and I'm confident that we can get it working if you change your
mind.

I have configured multiple Newtons for multiple wireless network
connections and am a server & network admin, so I have the knowhow (as
do many others on the list).

> I shall now catalogue my Newton items and offer them for sale. I shall
> inform the NewtonTalk messageboard when a list of the items is
> available.

It's a shame that this means you'll be getting rid of your Newton.
Regardless, I'm sure they will find a good home on the list.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/