Re: [NTLK] WiFi setup help

From: John Coady <jcoady_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 23:33:22 EDT

Have you by any chance changed the WaveLAN card password in going
from Belgium to Spain?

If that is a Silver Orinoco WaveLAN card you are using then I had
what sounds like a very similar problem - I could never get on the
web with my Newton when using WEP. Finally, however, after much
frustration and searching I solved my problem by using a five
character password.

The details are a bit faded now (and I'm no expert) but I don't think
that that WaveLAN card does 128-bit WEP - it only does 64-bit (or
40-bit which apparently is the same thing). The thing I do remember
is that 40/64 bit WEP requires 5 ASCII characters (or 10 hexadecimal
characters).

I never use hex so in the WaveLAN card Setup panel I select "string"
under "WEP Key" and enter my 5-letter password. Also, of course, I
tick "use WEP". Works for me.

Good luck.