Re: [NTLK] OT Palm Pre

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Jul 18 2009 - 04:27:19 EDT

Jon,
While the newtons didn't have the best OS upgrade support at least apple tried to do something with the ROM based resources they had. I can understand the very early palms not being upgradeable for the same reasons as the Newton but I found info on palm Vx upgrades (3.5.3 to 4.1) and that device was a 1999 model so they must have been using flash in the treos/tungstens for the OS and as such there is only one excuse for them to not offer upgrades and that's greed, which is the same reason they changed the charger/accessory connector on the 650 IMHO. Had the newtons lived on (officially with new models) into the same time period as the treos/tungstens they surely would've used flash and been upgradeable so the Newton 120/2000 (1995/1997) to palm OS 4/5 devices(2001/2002) is an apples to oranges comparison even though by your own admission apple did offer upgrades for said devices. As for web OS 1.1, they put a lot of .x and .x.y numbers behind the dead horse that is palm OS 5 (which they are STILL beating tod
ay) so I'll trust they have changed when I see V2 and V3 in the same decade (they've been beating OS 5 for going on 6 years after all). Palms money troubles are their own fault, they were the leaders in the PDA market, they bought the palm OS smartphone leaders (handspring) and then they promptly shot themselves in the foot.... repeatedly, with really big guns that take really big bullets (Denis Leary reference lol) so I don't give them any slack for having less resources, they did it to themselves. I loved early palms when they came out (I hadn't really used a Newton yet :-) and the fact that they seemed to be a good, forward moving company which prompted my later treo/tungsten purchases but I soon found out just how much they fell off the wagon after they were spun off. I hope they come back and return to the Palm Computing of old, but I'll believe it when I see it as the modern Palm Inc (PalmOne) has lost my trust.
Joe Reilly