Re: [NTLK] Redefining the Newton

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 03:03:21 EST

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:41 AM, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> It's just that even a device that flawlessly recognizes your handwriting, say, 85% of the time can still prove frustrating when you have to stop and correct mistakes (even 15% of the time)

Actually even a 95% or higher flawless ratio is still frustrating when
you need to get something written down. I learned to ignore little
errors, and just keep going, and clean up later (live notetaking). In
fact, larger errors would get left until a pause in speaking. You do
learn to work around the foibles of HWR, but without it being 99%-100%
perfect, it will still drive you crazy on occasion. ;-)

I would also add my own thoughts re: HWR in general. I type well over
60wpm. HWR at it's best is 40 or les wpm. And by "best" I mean either
on paper, or better yet, my Newton, with quick response turned on, and
writing in every available inch of screen. If you are used to writing
neatly on lines on your Newton, you are way under-utilizing your
Newton's screen. When you write fast, just write, and write anywhere
and everywhere you have a spot to fit a word. You will be surprised
how well the Newton will interpret and put the words in the right
place. Just make sure you don't accidently tap somewhere. ;-)

I once timed myself writing a screen of text, and I got over 40wpm,
but at the time, I felt it was my flat-out fastest ever. So, HWR still
pales to typing on a genuine keyboard (even this tiny one on my Wind).
However, for standing in a queue, talking to somebody, and writing
down a list of things, the Newton flat-out can't be beat! I never got
the odd pauses from people when I used my Newton like I do now with my
Treo, even though it's smaller. Something about the keyboard makes
people think you aren't paying attention to them, while writing
doesn't build that reaction, even when writing on an electronic
device--weird, eh?

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland